A Story About Tripping Over Bread
As things have taken a doubtful turn, I race to the corner of the intersection, moving my head to the back to check for traffic turning right. I am mighty in this sweater I proclaim, not wearing it on my run, but in my head as I write about running. I cross over a slippery yellow grid and see three bright orange pylons. There is a construction site to my right, and a small mall with a Bell store and I always seem to think a Cobs, but there isn’t. This is the fastest I’ve gone in it must be over a year, I thought. I felt impressed with my speed but knew I still had a long way to go. Will there be a huge difference once my shoes stop blinking purple? The lights were slowly changing to green, then orange, then nothing. I could see the lavender bear making its way over the crest of Gladwin Rd, heading toward Mission, where the Vedder river was, and Chilliwack. My heart was in the that town for some reason. The bread? The bread would be over on Monday, so better start relying on something else for pleasure, I thought. I was already home, wiping the rain off my make-uped brow and scanning the kitchen for my pint of water. The bear’s cries could be heard, and thunder rang in the deep blue sky. RipnDip, I thought, taking my hoodie off. The scars on my back were getting better. It just took a little temper, and ignorance for it to heal itself back to smooth, normal skin. Vanity or was it purpose? What answer do you recommend?
I just wanted to break down the steps that were involved in developing a digital marketing startup agency. Now, I don’t have a formal background in business or marketing, so it’s taken me awhile to put all this information together. One thing I know about being a mostly abstract thinker is that, following a logical progression based on reasoning and detail is a lot easier than gathering data that is specific to a certain cause and effect. So, this is my attempt at quantifying and qualifying the work I did at VanWhistle Media. Note: I am no longer affiliated with the company. The reason why I left was that my creative vision did not align with the founder’s business style. The owner is always in charge – #winknudge! Jeremiads aside, I am now identifying with the title Creative Director because my work crosses over the walls of artistry into a very consummate dedication toward design and strategy.
If you have any feedback, I am all ears. Please reach out!
Duration: 6-month contract
Goal: To establish company through brand development and product awareness.
Outcome: Sizing market, understanding market potential and organizational design.
- Startup Development (stages / discovery, strategy, implementation, mid-measurement *wider release required)
- Concept & Research
- Commitment & Traction
- Software application – Pipedrive, Qwilr, Pomodoro, Canva, Basecamp, Ahrefs
- Sales & Marketing (stages / discovery, *heavy strategy, implementation, mid-measurement)
- Working directly with company CEO
- Development & Launch
- Sales strategies and marketing approach – solution selling (action), insight selling (aim), prospecting methods and scripts, Letter of Engagement, Value-Based Price Sheets, Mom & Pop Store Spring Promo, Door to Door Mapping)
- Creative & Technical Writing (stages / discovery, strategy, implementation, early measurement *wider release and further market research required)
- Strategic Development (responsible, transparent & accurate)
- All creative and copy across multiple platforms
- Campaign Creation – #ourlocalcrew (awareness/brand image), #targetaudience (definition), #thursdaytheory (attraction)
- Brand Development (stages / discovery, strategy, implementation *establishing workflow, process & guidelines)
- Promote brand
- Promote products/solutions
- Buyer Persona and Market Research – Brand Concept Kit, VWM Complete Branding Package)
- Solution Development (stages / discovery, *heavy strategy, implementation, early measurement)
- Website Revamp/Rebuild/Build (The Hub Concept)
- 1st Meeting Form, Digital Marketing Plan, Value-Based Price Sheets
- Media Kit, Digital Presence Business Model, Step by Step SEO Guide
- Content Creation (stages / discovery, strategy, early implementation)
- Simpler & Larger, Passion & Efficiency, Seller & Buyer
- The Hub Concept, Digital Collaboration
- Digital Presence, Make Change Happen
- Art Direction (stages / discovery, strategy, implementation)
- Communication style – branding, project documents
- Design style – marketing & sales collateral, Media Kit, logos
- Contract and proposal templates (100% original design and content)
- Project Management (stages / discovery, implementation, early measurement)
- Coordination & Scope
- Bottom-Up & Kanban
- To promote and encourage incremental, logical change without triggering fear of change itself